1. Types of Personal Data We Collect and Process
We process the following information collected from you via the Service:
- Registration information (including your name, company name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, industry, occupation, password);
- Contact information of our business partners, etc.; and
- Information included in inquiries or requests, etc. to us.
We also process the information regarding your use of the Service, including your online identifiers, which we automatically collect.
The provision of personal data in these instances may be necessary to enable the proper execution of our agreement with you. The provision of your personal data to us may be obligatory or voluntary in nature depending on the purposes for which your personal data is provided. If it is obligatory for you to provide us with your personal data, your failure to provide such data may cause some services to become unavailable.
2. Purposes of Processing/Scope of Use
We may use each type of personal data to the extent necessary for the following purposes:
- Providing registered information to a member (a “Requestor”) that requests an introduction to the person who posted information on the BtoB information site (the “Exhibition Member”) and providing the information of the Requestor to the Exhibition Member so that the Requestor and the Exhibition Member may communicate;
- Identity verification of the members of the BtoB information services and provision of services to members;
- Back up and storage pursuant to the operations of the BtoB information services;
- Distribution of information such as email newsletters and various notices to members who separately consent thereto;
- Confirmation or other notices necessary for the service operations;
- Receipt of questionnaires or acceptance of applications for gifts or other promotional campaigns, and delivery of gifts, etc.;
- Responses to comments and inquires relating to the services;
- Requests for surveys to improve our various services and new businesses;
- Provision of information regarding the BtoB information services that may be useful or interesting to members;
- Communications pertaining to business negotiations or operations, placing or receiving orders, or billing and payment; and/or
- Responses to inquiries.
Contact information of our business partners, etc.
- Miscellaneous communications pertaining to business negotiations or operations, placing or receiving orders, or billing and payment; and/or
- Provision of information regarding the Service by telephone, fax, email, mail, etc.
Information included in inquiries or requests, etc.
- Responses to such inquiries or requests
Information regarding your use of the Service
- Preventing repeated password entry;
- Providing customized services based on user interests or history on our sites;
- Research of access history and usage; and/or
- Providing the most appropriate services to users.
We may also use your personal data to prepare statistical data that is processed to prevent an individual from being identified.
We will notify you separately in the event that we process your personal data for purposes other than those listed above.
3. Legal Basis for Processing
We process your personal data in the following cases in accordance with applicable laws and regulations:
- where you consent thereto;
- where necessary for our legitimate interests in providing you with appropriate services;
- where necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party; or
- where we have a legal obligation.
For more details about our legitimate interests, please contact us via the contact information provided below.
4. Processing Security Measures
We take the appropriate security measures necessary to prevent the leakage and loss of, damage to, and other incidents affecting personal data. We also take appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect and secure personal data and to prevent misuse, modification, unauthorized or accidental access and disclosure, alteration or destruction.
In addition, if any problem is found with our security measures, we shall promptly take corrective measures after identifying the cause.
5. Provision to Third Parties
We provide personal data to third parties as follows:
- We will disclose the name, address, email address, telephone number, fax number, company or group name, department name, and job title registered as membership information to a Requestor that uses the Service to request the information provided by another member (“Providing Member”) for the purposes of responding to such request to the extent that we determine appropriate;
- We may disclose the information of the Requestor to a third party designated by the Providing Member within the scope of the purpose of responding to requests;
- We may disclose information registered as membership information on our sites (ex. nickname, PR, etc.) depending on the usage; and/or
We may also provide your personal data to a third party in the following cases:
- Cases in which you use the Service to request information provided by another user and the personal data of the requesting user is disclosed to the providing user or a third party designated thereby;
- Cases in which you input your personal data following the acknowledgement that such information will become public; and/or
- Cases in which you input your personal data where it is easy to assume that the information indicated will become public based on the purposes of such area or in which the information that you input and publicly disclose could unexpectedly identify you.
When we provide your personal data to third parties, we put appropriate measures in place in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
6. International Transfer
We also may transfer your personal data to countries other than your country, including Japan, which may have a lower level of data protection than your country. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient outside of your country provide a standard of protection that is at least comparable to the protection under the applicable laws and regulations. When providing personal data to third parties outside your country, we take the necessary measures therefor, such as obtaining consent and concluding data transfer agreements, etc., in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
7. Retention Period
Your personal data will be stored in a physical/electronic database located at Japan. We retain your personal data up to 10 years after the end of the provision of services to you, after which, we shall delete the relevant personal data without delay: physical records shall be disposed of through shredding, etc., while digital files shall be deleted or anonymized. However, we will retain your personal data beyond such period where we are required to do so by applicable laws and regulations.
We will take reasonable effort to ensure that personal data we collect is accurate, complete, not misleading and up-to-date. The accuracy of your personal data depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
We will update or rectify the personal data once you have notified us when your personal data becomes inaccurate, incomplete, misleading, outdated or changes in any way whatsoever by contacting the Personal Information Management Officer at the contact details provided below.
9. Your Rights
You may have specific rights as a data subject under applicable laws and regulations, such as the right to access your personal data and to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal data. Where applicable, you have the right to delete your personal data, to withdraw from membership, to restrict the processing of your personal data, and the right to data portability.
Please note that, where applicable, you also have the right to object to processing when we are processing your personal data for a task carried out in the public interest, our legitimate interests, etc.
You may also exercise your right to withdraw your consent. Please note that the legality of the processing of personal information based on consent granted before the withdrawal shall not be affected by the withdrawal of consent.
If you or your agent exercises your rights in accordance with applicable laws and regulations, please contact us via the contact information provided below.
In addition, you may have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority under applicable laws and regulations.
We collect information such as access history by using cookies and other similar mechanisms (collectively, “Cookies”) to prevent repeated password entry, to provide customized services based on user interests or history on our sites, to research access history and usage, and to provide the most appropriate services to users. The information of users collected through Cookies shall be used only to the extent necessary for the provision of the Service and shall not be used for any other purpose.
If you disable Cookies, the use of the Service may be restricted or may not function properly.
11. Data Breach
Where a data breach has occurred, we will notify the local data privacy regulator and affected data subject in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations.
13. Contact Information
If you would like to exercise your rights under applicable laws and regulations; if you have comments, questions, or concerns; or if you would like to submit a complaint regarding the collection and use of your personal data, please feel free to contact the person in charge of personal information management at:
Personal Information Management Officer
- Sumitomo Hamamatsu-cho bldg. 4F, 1-18-16 Hamamatsu-cho, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0013, JAPAN
Established on February 10, 2009
Last amended on August 29, 2022